Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

We had a really nice Thanksgiving. No, we didn't have a houseful of friends or relatives, it was just us. I had a friend ask, "are you ok with that?" I thought that was an interesting question. I hear so many people moaning and complaining about having to cook for everybody, or having to spend the day with everybody, and it was a nice reminder that getting together with friends and family is a reason to be thankful, despite (maybe because of?) the effort.

So yes, I was ok with just us. And we made our favorite foods, except for sweet potatoes and/or mashed potatoes, because I was the only one who wanted those. And I had no set time that dinner had to be ready, so we just cooked at a leisurely pace and ended up eating about 2pm, which was just about perfect. And John got the dining room and front hall cleaned up while I cooked, so I feel like we're ahead, not behind.

And then Friday night we went to a friend's house for turkey soup and games and the kids played and adults talked and it was great. Best of both worlds.

No comments: