Friday, November 2, 2007

The Day After

Do you remember in the 80's there was a made-for-TV movie called "The Day After"? At least, I think that was the title - it was about the aftermath of a nuclear war. Remember, this was the era of Reagan and the Soviet Union (before Gorbachov) and we really did grow up thinking that it could all end tomorrow, and this movie came out and it was ALL over the news and everyone was talking about it and all these kids were scared and...

I never saw it. Don't recall if there was a reason, but I never saw it. This is but one of many cultural events I seem to have missed, mostly revolving around TV. Never watched Saturday Night Live (still not sure I've watched all the way through a show). Never watched Dallas or Dynasty or Hill Street Blues. But it's amazing how much you can pick up through osmosis about things like that. I think those national moments revolving around TV are over (remember Roots?) Too many channels now.

But I always think of that movie when I use that phrase. Today was definitely a day after. Did all the Halloween stuff, got my cookies baked for the nursery school bake sale/concert tomorrow, even got my hair cut this morning (I should have taken before/after pictures, it was scary!). And by 10:30 all that was left was cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming, laundry - all my not-so favorite stuff. I was even bored with surfing the web (no!). So I puttered and frittered for a while and then actually did some of the nasty stuff. I think this was the first morning since William started full-time kindergarten that I was actually bored. 2 months. And it wasn't like I didn't have stuff I could do, even fun stuff, but I just didn't feel like doing anything. Oh well. It's been a busy week. I can have half a day off, right?

2 comments:

Susan Z said...

At least you did some of those nasty things you don't like to do...I happen to be putting off a paper I am not terribly motived to write at the moment.

Lisa C said...

Interesting that you feel you missed out on TV pop culture. John is constantly amazed at the number of TV shows that I "missed" as a kid. Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, etc. (I can't think of the last one that came up). I wasn't particularly into TV, that was more Susan's thing. I didn't know you weren't either. Makes me wonder where I and you got it from. =)