Friday, February 20, 2009

There's always something (yet again)

I've had two out three kids home sick the past three days. William threw up at school on Wednesday - I feel bad about that one because he wasn't feeling great in the morning, and I was thinking I should keep him home. But he wanted to go. So he came home, threw up again that afternoon, but aftwards seemed pretty perky. Yesterday morning he had pain in his ear, but that passed so he was bored most of the day. That same morning, Rachel came down saying her tummy felt "funny". I caved and let her stay home too, feeling like I was being had, but then she threw up later in the afternoon. And this morning she still felt funny, so I let her stay home on the better safe than sorry principle. But William is back to school today, and no call from the nurse yet.

I have to leave in 5 minutes to go read to his class. Rachel will hang out on her own for the 45 minutes or less that I'll be gone. I love having kids old enough to stay home alone. It's made my life SO much easier.

I asked William if he wanted to help me pick out a book, or if I should surprise him. He said, "surprise me." So I have Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein, or The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins. Both are very cute, although the Silverstein book is more of a challenging read - but it's so much fun to do it fast and exaggerate taking a deep breath. I'll let the teacher pick, but I'm hoping I can do both.

And this morning, Sheba knocked my mother's painting off the mantle. I liked the way it looked just leaning on the wall - never occured to me I was courting disaster. The glass broke and the frame is a little nicked up. The cat and the painting are fine. Guess I have to go get a piece of glass cut now. Grrr...

4 comments:

hokgardner said...

We have had sick kid after sick kid around here. Hope yours are better soon.

Anonymous said...

Maybe plexiglass(tm) rather than the breakable stuff...

Jill in MA said...

As long as the painting didn't get damaged. That's what happened to me every time a glass frame has been broken.

Hope the kids are feeling better... and you don't get that bug!

Momo Fali said...

I hope everyone is feeling better!

I love schools that have parents as partners in their children's learning experience. Good for you for being a part of it!