Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's A Bummer

I'm having a hard time not feeling sorry for myself right now.  Not that anything tragic has happened, just that I'm very disappointed.

See, I pushed myself, and signed up for classes at a local art non-profit.  They "specialize" in printmaking, which I find fascinating (not sure if it's the art or the machines!), and their winter classes were with a visiting artist who's a bookmaker.  How cool is that?  Monday's class, Content Development, ended up being an affirmation that I could think of myself as an artist (at least a little).  And I was really looking forward to today's class, Paste Paper and Simple Book forms.  I've done a couple of workshops on simple books (pamphlets, accordian fold, etc.), but was REALLY looking forward to Paste Paper.  That's an old technique for creating decorative papers for book covers, cards, whatever.  Kind of like finger painting, but more sophisticated techniques.

Then William threw up.  Monday night, so he stayed home Tuesday and I was gaining a glimmer of hope, until he threw up again about 10pm.

This morning, I did wake him at the usual time to see how he felt - which was not good enough to go to school (normally, I wouldn't consider sending him to school within 24 hours of vomiting, but this was a special circumstance).

So I spent the day with mopey boy, feeling pretty mopey myself.  It's times like this that I really don't like the life we've made for ourselves here.  John's traveling means that I didn't have the option of asking him to work from home for a day.  Both of our parents are thousands of miles away, so can't dump the sick kid with the grandparents (not that I would abuse that privlege!).  And somehow, asking a friend to babysit a sick kid so I can go play with art?  Crosses a line.

It's not the end of the world, but combined with grey yucky weather, John being gone for 3 weeks, and the opportunity to do something really creative and different?  It's not been a good day.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that William will go to school tomorrow, and I can go to my last class (Single Page Book and Building Creativity).  I've been housebound for two days, and it's not pretty.

And there's not even any chocolate in the house.

No comments: