Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Brain Freeze

I've had probably 6 different ideas for posts (all with clever titles, of course) in the past 2 days. Can I remember ANY of them?

I have frittered away the evening in the most enjoyable way. Not knitting, not stamping, not even watching TV. Reading about knitting. My lovely sister gave my husband and me an Amazon gift card for Christmas. I actually had a couple of books in mind, and spent a long time on the site deciding how to get the most bang for my buck (I seem to spend much more time thinking about what to buy with gift cards than I do with my own money. You'd think it'd be the other way around). I ended up buying two books by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (The Yarn Harlot) and two about book-making.

They arrived today (Amazon is AWESOME, I did free shipping so they said 5-7 days and they even arrived BEFORE the tracking predicted, in 2 days!). I opened the box and opened the first book (The Yarn Harlot), thinking I would read a little. It's a series of short essays about knitting and life and motherhood. Tailor-made for short bursts of reading.

Let's just say, the kids did get fed and everyone got their homework done (I think). I laughed, I cried, I laughed so hard I cried. I don't know if this book is fabulous or if I was just really in the right frame of mind, but I've read the whole thing and completely loved it. I think you can even be a non-knitter and enjoy it, since she is a very funny writer and a pithy observer of human behavior. It was very cathartic and just the right little vacation from everything this evening.

And now I'm back to reality, and a sink full of dishes and very cold weather (for us) and another tough morning ahead. Rachel has orchestra practice BEFORE school, so she has to be dropped off by 8 am. William's bus comes at 8:07. This means they both have to be packed up (with lunches) and getting in the car by 7:45, since JC has already left and John is out of town. And since Rachel was invited to be in the "honors" orchestra for a special performance, she had practice this morning as well. Tomorrow is just her regular practice. Ugh. Don't know if I'm hoping for a delayed opening or not, since that would kill my plans for the rest of the day. Snow is predicted, nothing yet. We'll see!

No comments: