Friday, October 26, 2007

Busy Busy Busy

But not as bad as some. Just when I think , "oh yeah, i can totally keep up with posting every day" I completely miss one. Yesterday was farm day - a friend talked me into joining a Community-supported organic farm with her, so every week one of us has to drive 25 miles to pick up our share of the produce. In NJ, 25 miles equals 45 minutes if you're lucky, and I was not yesterday. SOMETHING happened on Route 206 yesterday and they had both directions closed for I don't know how long. Not so bad, as there was a reasonably short detour, but traffic tends to pile up around here anyway, so it added a good 45 minutes or more to the trip, so by the time I got home it was time to pick up the youngest, then everyone else gets home and we had the fire drill of school project due tomorrow.

I'm just hoping that if I say, "why don't you work on your project NOW before it's due" enough times, it will eventually sink in. I'm still hoping, but we did get it done.

And yet today, I baked two apple pies, delivered one to the middle school for the German Club "Oktoberfest", had lunch with a friend, went grocery shopping, got 90% of the groceries put away, got the kitchen mostly cleaned up after the pies, and fetched everyone from their various activities on time. Good day.

But now I'm wasting time with this when I should be making dinner - we all have to be somewhere at 7. Off to go cook something with all this lovely produce. Any ideas for a rutabaga?

3 comments:

Susan Z said...

My in-laws like to do rutabaga mashed potatoes. I believe they cook it and mash it and mix it in with the mashed potatoes

Lisa C said...

Btw, if you ever want some mashed potato and root veggies there's a great recipe in Cook's Illustrated. Fun cooking magazine where they test things and I could get you the recipe. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I even know what a rutabaga is!!