Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Official

I have officially lost my mind.  Let me tell you the sequence of events.

It's been a relatively quiet summer for us.  All three kids have participated in summer activities (one week each), and the only conflict has been that William's got moved to the same week as Rachel's, and had the same starting time.  Which turned out not to be a conflict because they were 5 minutes apart and I could drop one off a bit early and the other on time in one trip.

This week (tomorrow, to be exact), Rachel and William leave for 2 weeks at sleep-away camp.  JC has an all-day SAT prep course all next week, but again, no conflict because the other two are away.

SO....I guess things were too quiet.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I got an email from the former choir director at our church.  He's moved up to a larger church with bigger choirs, so we don't see him any more.  But this summer, he's experimenting with a summer choir event - one week of practices, then a performance Saturday night.  Would John and I be interested in singing with them?  I checked the calendar of rehearsals, nothing jumped out at me, so ok!  I love singing with J. W.  He's (in my opinion) a fine teacher and a fun director that gets results.  Sure!

First complication - we went camping for 5 days last weekend, and had to leave on the early side Sunday to make the first rehearsal.  No big deal.  Except that we're singing Vivaldi's "Gloria".  All of it.  All 12 (twelve) movements.  Yes, some are solos and some are very short, but that's still a LOT of music to learn.  In Latin.  Monday rehearsal, no problem - until J. W. announced that he was adding a rehearsal on Thursday night.  Um.  John was already going to miss Wednesday, and we both had a conflict Thursday as well.  Ohhhkaay.  I actually left my other meeting early to catch most of rehearsal - this stuff is challenging!  And I realized (after committing to the event) that we're dropping off Rachel and William for camp on Saturday.  At 1pm.  Saturday rehearsal starts at 3pm.  These two locations are 1.5 hours apart.

Then, just to make it really fun, I spent all week procrastinating packing for camp.  And then realized that my one and only black skirt doesn't really fit any more, and all my black pants are winter-weight.  So add in shopping for a black skirt/pants and white top (I pretty much NEVER wear white).  Not to mention William and Rachel just MIGHT need a few more socks and underwear to make it through 2 weeks of camp.  And I didn't count until...yesterday.

Oh, and Rachel really wanted to tie-dye some items to bring to camp - so we did that, too.

Now, since I woke up this morning at 6am with my mind SPINNING from all that needs to get done today, remember that this whole choir thing was voluntary.  Really!  We're doing this for fun!  And all the procrastinating was voluntary, too (including the time to type this.  Where's my fabric marker?  I have socks to label!)

Nevertheless, I have (mostly) complete confidence we'll pull this off.  And if you like baroque choral music, and live somewhere near Central New Jersey, contact me and I'll let you know the details of the performance.  Seriously, it's going to be fabulous.

No comments: