Thursday, January 28, 2010

Well, THAT Was Unexpected


When JC left this morning for school, at 6:45am, there was a very light dusting of snow on the road and yard.  A powdered sugar "bam" of snow, no more.  And the TV weatherman was still calling for snow showers with no real accumulation.

By 8am, when William was walking out to the bus, we had just shy of 1/2" and it was still coming down hard.  All the cars (of which there were few) were CRAWLING down our hill, and while we were standing at the bus stop, a driver rolled down the window to let us know there was a 7 car accident on a nearby road and a bus that couldn't make it up the hill.  William's bus finally showed up about 20 minutes late, and it took her a good 10 minutes to creep slowly down our hill.  She was being very cautious, but then again, she was driving a bus full of elementary students.  I was watching her slide sideways as she slowly went around a curve in the road.

As it was still snowing hard, I figured Rachel's bus would be REALLY late, so I hurried her through breakfast, cleaned off the car, and just as we were about to pull out of the driveway, the bus showed up.  She elected to run up the hill and take the bus to school.

So now it is still snowing.  Big, fat, fluffy snowman snow.  Very slick on the roads, I'm observing.  I was going to have coffee with a friend, but she canceled on me last night, and I'm staying put until the salt trucks go by.  I have all-wheel drive and fairly new tires - but I have no faith in my fellow drivers.

No comments: