Thursday, March 17, 2011

Words to Live By

I'm a news junkie.  I'll admit it.  (Hi, my name is Ann, and I'm addicted to knowing what's going on.)  I feel very cut off and isolated even going a day without watching or listening to what's going on in the world, and our local paper isn't enough (even though I generally read almost all of it every day).

But lately?  It's a little overwhelming.  The whole Egypt thing (sorry Tunisia, we didn't get as much coverage about you), which of course segued into Bahrain and Libya and Yemen and who knows how many countries in that region.  That "little" earthquake in Christchurch, protests in Wisconsin, our own very combative governor in New Jersey (he's a jerk.  There are even some of his policies I grudgingly agree with, but the guy's a jerk).

And now Japan.

It would be heartbreaking enough to see the pictures of the aftermath of a HUGE earthquake.  Then you add on a truly biblical tsunami.  We could stop there, thank you.  I can't imagine the horrors those people are living through right now.

But no, now they have impending nuclear disaster to deal with, as well.  And while I know (here in my safe suburban intact house) that the worst case scenarios you are hearing on the media are more than a little on the sensationalized side, they are living with even more fear and uncertainty and a justifiable mistrust in what their government is telling them.

Whatever religion or higher power you believe in, or even if you don't believe, take a moment and think prayers/good thoughts for all the people struggling right now, whether in Japan or Libya or New Zealand.  I don't know that the world is more tumultuous than it was 100 years ago, but we are certainly more aware of it now.

I did receive a little ray of hope today, though.  When I was filling out the online donation form for Doctors without Borders, the captcha (security words) that came up were "ndstedi calm".

And steady calm.

Something to remember.

2 comments:

hokgardner said...

I'm a news junkie too - daily paper, cnn.com, salon.com, huffpost - but lately I just can't bear to watch or read. I give the nightly news about five minutes and then turn it off.

I have a mug with that very sentiment on it. I also have a knitting project bag that says "Keep calm and carry yarn." Another good philosophy.

Lisa C said...

I like the keep calm and carry yarn. I love watching the news, but don't do it daily as I don't want Matt seeing some of the more negative stuff. He's getting more aware of things, and he likes watching the News with me at lunch sometimes (he likes flashing lights and the helicopter on their intro). Plus he just likes TV.
Also gave to Drs. Without Borders. A good thing to support.