Friday, April 27, 2012

I Am Officially a Nutcase

I was going to post about the third day of our spring break vacation, but life has gotten in the way.  Last week, I helped run a vendor fair as a fundraiser for the band parents association.  Good fundraiser, but as one of the co-chairs, it got a little... time-consuming in the last week.

This week, I lost my mind.  The back story is that my darling oldest boy has discovered LARPing.  Lest you think that is some great new video game, let me set you straight.  LARP stands for Live Action Role Play.  You see, some people who play role-playing games (for example, Dungeons and Dragons) are not satisfied to move little figures around a hexagonal board and roll dice to determine what happens.  No, they want to dress and run around the woods beating on each other with foam swords.

JC thinks this is great.  I think this is pretty great because he is running around the woods instead of spending the weekend sitting in front of the computer, and I don't have to yell at him about that.  He went last month for the first time, and loved it.  So last week, he asked me if I could make him a costume for the next event.  That was occurring in a week and a half.

Long story short, I made him a costume.  It took me all week, because I didn't want to make him some crappy home-made looking costume.  No, I had to look up authentic styles and real finishing techniques and rip things out because it looked wrong and generally drive myself batty doing it "right".

And I have no pictures to post, because he got home late from a school field trip today, and we were frantically running around getting him packed and transported to his ride.  Sunday, I hope, you can see him in all his glory - tunic, cloak (with hood!), pouch.  I even made little beanbags, which are used as spells in the game (you throw the beanbag at someone, and if you hit them, you've "hit" them with the spell you incanted).

Why couldn't I just slap something together?

1 comment:

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wow Ann, I don't know what to say! I can't believe you pulled off the whole outfit! Love to see the whole thing!